Iceland: an enigma, a land of contrasts.
This Iceland Contrasts trekking trip is one of our favourite classic trips. Visiting some of the most wildly contrasting and beautiful parts of Iceland including fjords, mountains, canyons, waterfalls, lava deserts, crater lakes and geothermal areas. Birds and wild flowers are prolific during walks and in July the sun never sets.
This trip involves day walks in contrasting terrain, starting in the steep sided coastal mountains of the eastern fjords which rise dramatically from the sea to over 1000m. The coastal scenery is dramatic, and other walkers are rarely met. We hike to the warm crater lake at Askja (and swim?) then head for the largest canyon in Iceland & the immense waterfall Dettifoss. A visit to Myvatn rounds off the trip, with its geothermal wonderland’ of steaming fissures and bubbling mud, and we walk in an area on top of the Mid Atlantic Ridge, still cooling from an eruption in the 1980’s.
what our clients say…
“I just want to say how much I enjoyed the trip. A great experience and such good company. Special thanks for an imaginative itinerary, first rate organisation and tip-top cuisine!
“Holiday of a Lifetime”
“This trek was very well organised, amazing scenery and experiences and an excellent leader”
“For me it was the best adventure ever, so many highlights – I had a great time! High Places is a very professional company and the Iceland Contrasts trip was good value for money”
What is included in the price?
- Accommodation (1 night Reykjavik, 12 nights in a variety of sleeping bag accommodations - see itinerary)
- Meals (Breakfast in Reykjavik, most meals during the tour - see B,L,D in itinerary for full details)
- Guide (Guided walks as per itinerary)
- Transfers (Private transport on tour and airport transfers)
- Domestic Flights (Two domestic flights - Reykjavik to Egilsstadir and Akureyri to Reykjavik)
What is not included in the price?
- Personal expenses